Tuesday 8 July 2014

Exercise!

What I know:

  • A person should walk 10,000 steps a day (this is not overachieving, but just doing the essentials!)
  • Lifting weights and building muscle is essential to changing body composition and losing weight.
  • Lifting heavy weights will not make me bulky like a man.
  • Running at my current weight is likely to give me another stress fracture in my foot.
  • Power walking with my heart rate between 120-140 bpm is the best way of melting fat off.
  • Varied workouts will keep the body guessing.
  • It is important to eat before and after exercise, especially enough protein on weight lifting days.
  • The average person is recommended to do at least 90 minutes of moderate-intensive activity a week (i.e. not just hitting the 10,000 steps).
What works well:
  • Exercising with a buddy.
  • Taking classes, this helps with scheduling and with motivation throughout the session.
  • Having a goal or event to build up to (e.g. 5k fun run etc.)
  • Exercising in the morning (so that I don't have to think about it all day!)
  • Incorporating little extra activities to hit my daily steps, i.e. walk up the stars at work rather than taking the lift.

What does not work well:
  • Workout DVDs, I don't really have the space and don't tend to stick to the 'scheduled' workout time.
  • Trying to do too much, I need to be realistic about the amount of time I have. If I fail to stick to my 'schedule' I tend to give up.
  • Leaving all my steps to hit at the end of the day.
  • Trying to go to a gym or gym class on my own, I'm too shy and self-concious, so I end up putting it off.
What I can do:
  • Hit 10,000 steps a day.
  • Do two circuit classes a week (Monday evening with my friend, Alli, and Friday morning with my friend, Nina.)
  • 2 x 40min speed walks per week (heart rate between 120-140 bpm). This can count towards the 10,000 daily steps.
My plan is to carry this out for the next month, then ramp it up.

Have I made my plan too easy? Will I stick to this?
I hope so...

No comments:

Post a Comment